Tuesday 24 November 2015

Personal Statement V2


My passion for creating content for Film and TV suddenly grew over the years. Like anyone I would watch masses and masses of content without thinking about how it was made. Then I was introduced to Mythbusters. A show that, is sadly ending, broke down famous movie scenes/myths and tested if it could be done in real life; replicating the results if proved false. This created a turning point in my career mind-set (as I was focused on Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths at the time) I started to research how the content I would binge watch was create; by reading film magazines (Empire and Total Film etc...) in my secondary schools library. Getting excited about which actors had been cast for films, film locations but more importantly how they were being made. What cameras were they using, what effects are being used how they were angling the shots. I'd then go even further watching director interviews on YouTube then watching their work from a critical perspective, comparing my views to film critics. I moved aside from STEM and went on to Middlesbrough College to study a BTEC in Creative Media.

One year in and I loved every bit of it, even the theory. As a result I came away from the year with not only a Distinction* Distinction* in the course and a commendation in research for my documentary "A Night at Cubs" which follows my local Cub Scout pack (Which I’m a leader at). This developed my skills as a leader, dealing with large groups of people, communication and how to fill out which paper work is needed correctly. In order to create this I needed to develop editing and camera operating skills. My first experience producing professional work was for work experience in Year 9. During this I was trusted with thousands of pounds worth of equipment working with the Studio department. On student trips I got to interview students, staff and even those who were teaching the students for the day. In the edit this would be interlaced with cut aways from the day and music. Which was then broadcast to everyone in the school. I also started to gain skills by setting up my own YouTube channel. I produced gaming videos which were edited and exported in Sony Vegas Pro. I used Photoshop to produce banners and thumbnails. I stopped this before college. In college my content became more mature and professional. In my spare time I would edit and create found footage music videos for various pre-existing songs. During the first half term of the college, I was accepted on the media NCS course. Not only did I meet new people, I managed to develop my transferable skills in a new environment. As the first half of the week was very outdoor heavy and in areas I hadn't explored before or done with new people. In the second week I was picked to interview the Capital breakfast team as a group up in Newcastle. I then got to edit the final piece which is up on the NCS Vimeo page.

In my spare time I like to focus on being a cub leader in Scouting. I really enjoy learning new skills and teaching the young scouts skills which can help them grow as a person; knowing you've made a difference to someone else is a joy I take away from the process. I was very lucky to go over to Kenya during my scouting years where I helped built a school for a local community. When I get the chance I like to work through my film list (containing cult or well-known great films).I is currently making my way through the Coen Brothers work. As I love the way they direct. They know how to tell a story well without the movie dragging. The themes of criminals or good hearted people getting involved in kidnaps or money issues never gets old especially with the cinematography of Roger Deakins. At family events I like to practice photography which then gets printed for display. Finally, at night I spend time on YouTube; whether it's the latest camera report from Philip Bloom, a behind the scenes, a Cinema Sins video or even gameplay videos from the likes of Achievement Hunter/Yogscast.


No comments:

Post a Comment