Tuesday 10 November 2015

Personal statement draft


My passion for creating content for Film and TV suddenly grew over the years. Like anyone I would watch masses and masses of content without thinking about how it was made. Then I was introduced to Mythbusters in year 9. A show that, is sadly ending after the next series, broke down famous movie scenes and tested if it could be done in real life; but it also replicated the scene to show how the film company made the effect. This created a turning point in my career mindset( as I was focused on Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths at the time ) I started to look more and more into how the content I would binge watch was created I started to care more and more about the world of TV and Film. Reading film magazines (Empire and Total Film to name a new) in my secondary schools library. Getting excited about which actors had been cast for films, where they were shooting but more importantly how they were being made. What FPS were they using, what effects are being used how they were angling the shots. I'd then go even further and explore director interviews on Youtube and watch their work from a constructive/ critical perspective. Then comparing what I thought to critics on IMDB, Empire and The Guardian. Which was giving me the footing I wanted, my mind was set of media. I moved aside from science and engineering and went on to Middlesbrough College to study a BTEC in Creative Media.

One year in and I loved every bit of it, even the theory as it meant I was learning more and more about the industry. As a result I came away from the year with not only a D* D* in the course but a commendation for research on a documentary I created "A Night at Cubs" which followed my local Cub Scout pack. I am currently a leader at. Allowing me to develop my skills as a leader of a team, team work, dealing with large groups of people, communication and how to fill out which paper work is needed correctly. All of which can be applied to producing TV and Film as instead of it being children aged 8-10. I would be working with a larger and older crew. But in order to create a "Night At Cubs" I also needed to develop my editing and camera operating skills. My first ever experience producing professional work was for work experience in year 9. I was lucky to work with my schools studio department. During this I was trusted with thousands of pounds worth of equipment on younger years school trips. On their trips I got to interview students on what they were doing for the day and what they like the most, this would then be interlaced with music and cut away in the edit and then broadcast to everyone in the school. I also started to gain skills by setting up my own Youtube channel. Although, the set up wasn't the best I produced multi gaming videos which were edited and exported in Sony Vegas Pro. I also got to work in Photoshop producing banners and thumbnails. I would also respond to audience feedback in future videos to stylize my content. I then entered college and was introduced into the world of Film and TV production and my content became more mature and professional. In my spare time I would edit and create found footage music videos for various pre-existing songs. During the first half term of the college, I was accepted on the media NCS course. Not only did I meet new people, I managed to develop my transferable skills in a new environment. As the first half of the weeks was very outdoor heavy (Very similar to my scouting) and in areas I hadn't explored before or done with new people. In the second week I was picked to interview the Capital breakfast team as a group up in Newcastle. Getting a glimpse at how professional radio work is done but also what skills are needed to get in the industry. I then got to edit the final piece which is up on the NCS's Vimeo page as advertisement. I then worked on all my college projects: 1 Minute films, music videos and documentary. But I didn't just stop at my own work, I also tried to get in on as many other projects as I could so I could develop my skills for the future.

In my spare time I like to focus on Scouting on a Tuesday night. I really enjoy learning new skills and teaching the young scouts skills which can help them grow as a person; knowing you've made a difference to someone else is a joy I take away from the process. Previously I was in explorer scouts but grew too old. I was very lucky to get the chance to go over to Kenya during explorers where I helped built a school for a local community. After the journey I did some voice over work for one of the other scouts who was making a short video of the highlights. I then go to the pub afterwards to meet my grandparents who do the quiz. I enjoy completing the quiz as it not only tests my knowledge but it also allows me to get competitive. My other general parts of my spare time is spent with me going through a film list I have created featuring cult or well-known great films. I'm currently making my way through the Coen Brothers work. As I love the way they direct. They know how to tell a story well without the movie dragging. The themes of criminals or good hearted people getting involved in kidnaps or money issues never gets old especially with the  cinematography of Roger Deakins. I've just began driving and I find getting out on the road relaxing where I can go to empty my mind and just drive (obviously taking note of my surroundings).  I will also take a photography camera to family events and get practice composing, lighting and taking shots. As I currently don't own a film camera. I then spent the remainder of my time on YouTube or reading articles and books; whether it's the latest camera report from Philip Bloom, a behind the scenes video, a Cinema Sins video or even a game play video from the likes of Achievement Hunter/the Yogscast. I looked forward to the future, creating my own content for Film and TV using inspiration from the world around me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment